Thursday, October 16, 2008

Crispy Biscuits

These buttermilk biscuits are from The Taste of Country Cooking and were part of the meal that I discussed in a guest post on Cooking Books. If you haven’t had a chance yet, take a moment to read that post and check out the fantastic Cooking Books site. When I read The Taste of Country Cooking, I noticed that almost every meal included biscuits or rolls served with homemade jelly or preserves, and that reminded me of how, years ago, my Mom got me hooked on putting jelly on leftover biscuits for breakfast. Biscuits with butter are wonderful things unto their own, but biscuits with sweet jelly provide a different experience all together. So, when I was choosing dishes to prepare from the Fall chapter of Taste of Country Cooking, biscuits simply had to be included.

The ingredients used here are pretty typical for a buttermilk biscuit. The difference is the thickness. These were rolled out to 1/4 inch and cut into two inch rounds. I usually roll out biscuit dough to about 3/4 inch or so. They were baked in a 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Inside, they are as delicate as can be, and the tops and bottoms have just a slight crunch making them even more delicious than you’d think was possible. Hot out of the oven, we sampled one with just butter and one with blackberry preserves. I would have been very full of biscuits by the time I chose a favorite, so I declared them both winners.

These biscuits are buttery and flaky with that nice, tart touch from the buttermilk which makes sweet preserves such a lovely counterpoint. Whether you partake of the jelly or preserves on your biscuits during the meal, after the meal, or for breakfast the next morning they’re equally good and well worth the effort of baking them.



8 comments:

  1. Nice looking biscuits. I really like that one with the melting butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh that looks delicious! i've been wanting to try biscuits for a while. they look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - you have no idea how much I adore a great biscuit. THIS makes my heart melt.

    warm fuzzies abound!

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made biscuits before, but your pictures make me very tempted to give them a try! I think I'll take mine with the preserves, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love biscuits with jelly. It's one of those perfect matches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like my biscuits to have crispy exteriors and soft innards. and lots of preserves or jam or jelly on top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are gorgeous, makes the perfect teabreak snack! I am yearning for the one with the melting butter with a glass of milk, yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. jelly - because the already have so much fat in them that the jelly adds another dimension. yep - i pick jelly. all the way. unless you make milk gravy which is OBSCENELY good.

    having said that, i never make them. but i should at least once. i mean i live in nashville. the aforementioned biscuits and gravy dish is like eleventy billion calories worth of fat and simple carbs...

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips